Materials Transactions, Vol.53 No.04 (2012) pp.592-596
© 2012 The Japan Institute of Metals
Synthesis of Zeolitic Material from Paper Sludge Ash Using Diatomite
Department of Materials-process Engineering and Applied Chemistry for Environments, Akita University, Akita 018-8502, Japan
Paper sludge ash (PSA) was partially converted into zeolites by reaction with 3 M NaOH solution at 90°C for 24 h. The PSA had a low abundance of Si and significant Ca content, due to the presence of calcite that was used as paper filler. Diatomite, which contains amorphous silica and dissolves easily in alkali solution, was mixed with the ash, and then added to the NaOH solution to increase its Si content during alkali reaction and thus synthesize zeolites with high cation exchange capacity (CEC). The original ash without addition of diatomite yielded hydroxysodalite with CEC ca. 0.5 mmol/g. Addition of diatomite to the ash yielded zeolite-P with a higher CEC (ca. 1 mmol/g). The observed concentrations of Si and Al in the solution during the reaction explain the crystallization of these two phases. The reaction products were tested for their adsorption capacity for nutrients from liquid fertilizer, such as K+, NH4+ and PO43−. The product with zeolite-P exhibits high ability to adsorb these nutrients from liquid fertilizer, which is desirable for application in soil improvement.
(Received 2011/07/22; Accepted 2011/12/08; Published 2012/03/25)
Keywords: paper sludge ash, diatomite, zeolite-phosphorus, hydroxysodalite, nutrients, soil improvement
Table of Contents
- R. G. Barton, W. R. Seeker and H. E. Bostian: Trans. Inst. Chem. Eng. 69 (1991) 29-36.
- T. H. Y. Tebbutt: Proc. Inst. Civil Eng. Water Marit. Energy 112 (1995) 39-47.
- M. Singh and M. Garg: Cem. Concr. Res. 29 (1999) 309-314.
- R. Kikuchi: Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 31 (2001) 137-147.
- T. Henmi: Mem. Facul. Agric. Ehime Univ. 33 (1989) 143-149.
- H. Ishimoto and M. Yasuda: NTT REV. 9 (1997) 51-56.
- S. P. Mun and B. J. Ahn: J. Ind. Eng. Chem. 7 (2001) 292-298.
- R. M. Barrer: Zeolites and Clay Minerals as Sorbents and Molecular Sieves, (Academic Press, London, 1978).
- H. Ishimoto, T. Origuchi and M. Yasuda: J. Mater. Civ. Eng. 12 (2000) 310-313.
- H. Ishimoto, M. Yasuda and O. Sasaki: NTT REV. 15 (2003) 43-47.
- Editing Committee on All about Paper (ECAP): All about Paper: I., (Gihodo, Japan, 1995).
- P. Catalfamo, G. Patané, P. Primerano, S. D. Pasquale and F. Corigliano: Mater. Eng. 5 (1994) 159-173.
- T. Ando, M. Saito, S. Muramatsu, K. Hiyoshi, J. Haruna, N. Matsue and T. Henmi: J. Clay Sci. Soc. Jpn. 42 (2003) 158-166.
- T. Ando, M. Saito, S. Muramatsu, K. Hiyoshi, J. Haruna, N. Matsue and T. Henmi: J. Clay Sci. Soc. Jpn. 42 (2003) 208-217.
- W. H. Shin and H. L. Chang: Mater. Lett. 28 (1996) 263-268.
- M. Park and J. Choi: Clay Sci. 9 (1995) 219-229.
- V. Berkgaut and A. Shinger: Appl. Clay Sci. 10 (1996) 369-378.
- X. Querol, N. Moreno, J. C. Umaña, A. Alastuey, E. Hernández, A. López-Soler and F. Plana: Int. J. Coal Geol. 50 (2000) 413-423.
- N. Shigemoto, H. Hayashi and K. Muyaura: J. Mater. Sci. 28 (1993) 4781-4786.
- M. Park, C. L. Choi, W. T. Lim, M. C. Kim, J. Choi and N. H. Heo: Microporous Mesoporous Mater. 37 (2000) 81-89.
- D. Wu, B. Zhang, L. Yan, H. Kong and X. Wang: Int. J. Miner. Process. 80 (2006) 266-272.
- T. Wajima, K. Kuzawa, H. Ishimoto, O. Tamada and T. Nishiyama: Am. Mineral. 89 (2004) 1694-1700.
- K. Fukui, M. Kinugawa, T. Nishimoto and H. Yoshida: Kagaku Kogaku Ronbunshu 28 (2002) 155-160.
- T. Ando, T. Sakamoto, O. Sugiyama, K. Hiyoshi, N. Matsue and T. Henmi: Clay Sci. 12 (2004) 243-248.
- T. Wajima, T. Shimizu and Y. Ikegami: J. Environ. Sci. Health-A 42 (2007) 345-350.
- S. Kamigasa and H. Kato: Energy Resour. 21 (2000) 155-160.
- T. Wajima, M. Haga, K. Kuzawa, H. Ishimoto, O. Tamada, K. Ito, T. Nishiyama, R. T. Downs and J. F. Rakovan: J. Hazard. Mater. B 132 (2006) 244-252.
- T. Wajima and K. Munakata: J. Environ. Sci. 23 (2011) 718-724.
- T. Wajima, T. Shimizu and Y. Ikegami: J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 83 (2008) 921-927.
- N. R. C. F. Machado and D. M. M. Miotto: Fuel 84 (2005) 2289-2294.
- Y. Kato, K. Kakimoto, H. Ogawa, M. Tomai and E. Sakamoto: Kougyo-Yousui 331 (1986) 27-33.
- N. Murayama, H. Yamamoto and J. Shibata: Int. J. Miner. Process. 64 (2002) 1-17.
- R. M. Barrer: Hydrothermal Chemistry of Zeolites, (Academic Press, New York, 1992).
© 2012 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :