Materials Transactions, Vol.52 No.04 (2011) pp.759-767
© 2011 The Japan Institute of Metals
Sintering Behavior of Tungsten Heavy Alloy Products Made by Plasma Spray Forming
1State Key Laboratory of Powder Metallurgy, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410083, P. R. China
2Hunan Research Institute of Metallurgy and Materials, Changsha, Hunan 410014, P. R. China
3School of Materials Science and Engineering, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410083, P. R. China
Refractory metallic thin-walled products of 95W–3.5Ni–1.5Fe (in mass%) were fabricated by plasma spray forming (PSF) in argon atmosphere at 1.01 × 105 Pa followed by high temperature sintering (1200, 1300, 1400 and 1465°C). Scanning electron microscope (SEM), energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS), Archimedes method, differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and X-ray diffractometer (XRD) have been employed to study microstructure, solubilities, density, solidus and liquidus temperatures and phases of the parts. Lamellar structure consisting of vertical columnar grains and fine particles was found in PSF deposits. Supersaturated solid solutions were formed in the deposits with the relative density of 88 ± 2%. Solidus and liquidus temperatures of γ phase were measured to be 1392 and 1412 ± 5°C, respectively. Initial lamellar structure was remained in the tested samples after sintering at lower temperatures (1200°C/90 min, 1300°C/90 min and 1400°C/15, 90 min) and turned into granular structure at 1465°C/5, 15, 30, 90 min. In addition, the relative densities of deposits, after sintering at 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1465°C for 90 min, were increased from 88 to 90, 92, 94 and 98 ± 2%, respectively. A five-stage sintering mechanism proposed by us previously has been re-validated and double checked by experimental results.
(Received 2010/11/19; Accepted 2011/1/6; Published 2011/3/30)
Keywords: sintering behavior, tungsten heavy alloys, products, plasma spray forming
Table of Contents
- R. M. German and K. S. Churn: Metall. Trans. A 15 (1984) 747–750.
- E. Ariel, J. Barta and P. Brandon: Pow. Metall. Int. 5 (1973) 126–130.
- S. Farooq, A. Bose and R. M. German: Prog. Pow. Metall. 43 (1987) 65–77.
- D. V. Edmond and P. N. Jones: Metall. Trans. A 10A (1979) 289–295.
- W. D. Kingery: J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1959) 301–306.
- W. D. Kingery: J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1959) 307–310.
- W. J. Huppmann, H. Riegger and W. D. Kingery: Acta Metall. 30 (1960) 307–310.
- R. M. German: Liquid Phase Sintering, MPIF, Princeton, (1985).
- J. K. Park, S. J. L. Kang, K. Y. Eun and K. N. Yoon: Metall. Trans. A 20A (1989) 837–845.
- R. M. German: Adv. Pow. Metall. 4 (1991) 183–194.
- C. Chausse and F. Nardou: Powder Metall. World Congress Exhibition, (1994) pp.1545–1548.
- W. E. Gurwell: Tungsten Refractory Metall, Proc. 2nd Int. Conference, (1995) pp.65–75.
- V. M. Hovis, Jr. Kingston, W. G. Northcutt and O. Jr. Ridge: US Patent 4,332,617, June (1982).
- Z. Z. Mustasim and R. W. Smith: 120th TMS Annual Meeting on Recent Advances in Tungsten and Tungsten Alloys, (1991) pp.69–73.
- Y. M. Wang, X. Xiong, X. B. Min, L. Xie and F. Zheng: Mater. Sci. Eng. A 527 (2010) 5782–5789.
- L. Pawlowsky: The Science and Engineering of Thermal Spray Coatings, (Wiley, New York, 1995).
- F. A. Shunk: Constitution of Binary Alloys, Second Supplement, (McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1969) p.334.
- F. A. Shunk: Constitution of Binary Alloys, Second Supplement, (McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1969) p.354.
- F. A. Shunk: Constitution of Binary Alloys, Second Supplement, (McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1969) p.361.
- R. P. Elliott: Constitution of Binary Alloys, First Supplement, (McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1965) pp.422–423.
- R. P. Elliott: Constitution of Binary Alloys, First Supplement, (McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1965) pp.441–442.
- C. C. Koch: Mater. Sci. Eng. A 244A (1998) 39–48.
- Z. W. Zhang, G. L. Chen, G. Chen and J. E. Zhou: Rare Met. Mater. Eng. 34 (2005) 1139–1143.
- M. Vardelle, A. Vardelle and A. C. Leger: J. Therm. Spray Technol. 4 (1994) 50–58.
- J. M. Houben and G. G. Liempd: Proc. 10th Int. Thermal Spray Conference, (Germany Welding Institute, 1983) pp.66–71.
- R. Montanari, B. Riccardi, R. Volterri and L. Bertamini: Mater. Lett. 52 (2002) 100–105.
- K. Toshihito and R. M. German: Int. J. Refract. Met. Hard Mater. 3 (1990) 40–45.
- K. A. Khor, Y. Murakoshi, M. Takahashi and T. Sano: J. Mater. Sci. Lett. 15 (1986) 1801–1804.
© 2011 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :