Materials Transactions, Vol.52 No.04 (2011) pp.685-690
© 2011 The Japan Institute of Metals
Microstructural Aspects during the Preparation of Y3Al5O12 by Combustion Synthesis and Temperature Field Simulation
1Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), Pohang 790-784, Korea
2Mechanical and Electronic Engineering College, Shandong Agricultural University, Tai'an Shandong 271018, P. R. China
3Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100190, P. R. China
The combustion front quenching method (CFQM) combined with the temperature field simulated using the finite element method was used to investigate the microstructural aspects of the fabrication of transparent Y3Al5O12 via combustion synthesis. The simulated results indicate that there are three regions corresponding with the temperature distribution whose microstructural aspects were studied. The composite mixtures of the products cannot be separated depending only on their gravities. The filamentous profile of aluminum along with many aluminous intermediate products are detected by XRD, SEM and EDS analysis in the preheat region, which indicates that the heat-transfer can affect the mass-transfer process and the subsequent reaction process. The microstructural aspects show that the combustion reaction of the Al/NiO/Y2O3 powder mixture was initiated by the melting of Al particles.
(Received 2010/10/5; Accepted 2011/1/24; Published 2011/3/30)
Keywords: bulk Y3Al5O12 (YAG), microstructural aspects, combustion front quenching method (CFQM), combustion synthesis, temperature distribution simulation
Table of Contents
- F. Ivanauskas, A. Kareiva and B. Lapcun: J. Math. Chem. 37 (2005) 365–376.
- A. Krell, T. Hutzler and J. Klimke: cfi/Ber. Dt. Keram. Ges. 84 (2007) 41–50.
- J.-H. Eom and Y.-W. Kim: Metall. Mater. Int. 16 (2010) 399–405.
- T. Taira: C. R. Phys. 8 (2007) 138–152.
- X. X. Li, W. J. Wang and Z. G. Hu: Powder Metall. Met. Ceram. 48 (2009) 413–418.
- J. Y. Son, C. S. Park and H. Kim: Metall. Mater. Int. 16 (2010) 289–292.
- H. W. Kim, H. S. Kim, M. A. Kebede, H. G. Nal and J. C. Yang: Metall. Mater. Int. 16 (2010) 77–81.
- B. Derin, U. Demircan and O. Yücel: Metall. Mater. Int. 15 (2009) 331–336.
- G. Cao, R. Orrù, R. Licheri, A. Cincotti and A. M. Locci: Int. J. Self-Propag. High-Temp. Synth. 17 (2008) 76–84.
- N.-R. Park, M.-K. Choe, J.-S. Park, W. Kim and I.-J. Shon: Metall. Mater. Int. 15 (2009) 765–769.
- Y. P. Song, H. S. Kim, C. S. Lee, J. T. Li and J. Pei: Mater. Trans. 51 (2010) 2230–2235.
- J. Pei, J. H. Yang, L. Mei and J. T. Li: J. Chin. Ceram. Soc. 37 (2009) 1669–1672.
- Q. Ch. Fan, H. F. Chai and Z. H. Jin: J. Mater. Sci. 36 (2001) 5559–5563.
- X. J. Chen, T. D. Xia, X. L. Liu, T. Z. Liu and W. J. Zhao: J. Alloy. Compd. 426 (2006) 123–130.
- Q. C. Fan, H. F. Chai and Z. H. Jin: J. Mater. Sci. 34 (1999) 115–122.
- Y. Ma, Q. C. Fan, J. J. Zhang, J. Shi, G. Q. Xiao and M. Z. Gu: J. Wuhan Univ. Technol. 23 (2008) 381–385.
- O. K. Lepakova, L. G. Raskolenko and Y. M. Maksimov: T. Combust. Explos. Sh. W. 36 (2000) 575–581.
- A. S. Rogachev, V. A. Shugaev, C. R. Kachelmyer and A. Varma: Chem. Eng. Sci. 49 (1994) 4949–4958.
- S. Yin: Combustion Synthesis, Beijing, (Metallurgic Industry Press, 1999) (in Chinese).
- S. W. Chae, C. H. Son and Y. S. Kim: Mater. Sci. Eng. A 279 (2000) 111–117.
- Y. F. Wang and Z. G. Yang: Mater. Sci. Eng. A 460–461 (2007) 130–134.
- E. Simsek, B. Brosch, S. Wirtz, V. Scherer and F. Krüll: Powder Tech. 193 (2009) 266–273.
- A. K. Bhattacharya: J. Mater. Sci. 27 (1992) 1521–1527.
- Z. Liu, Z. J. Wu and J. Z. Wu: Numerical Simulation of Heat Treatment Processing (in Chinese), Beijing, (Science Press, 1996).
- G. S. Dai: Heat Transfer Theory (in Chinese), Beijing, (Higher Education Press, 1999).
- Y. P. Song, J. T. Li, Z. L. Lin and J. Pei: J. Chin. Ceram. Soc. 37 (2009) 214–218.
© 2011 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :