Materials Transactions, Vol.46 No.07 (2005) pp.1706-1710
© 2005 The Japan Institute of Metals
Development of Glassy Alloy Separators for a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC)
1Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577, Japan
2Daido Steel Co. Ltd., Nagoya 457-8545, Japan
The Ni60Nb15Ti15Zr10 glassy alloy was developed as a separator material for a proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC). The corrosion rate of the glassy alloy in sulfuric acid was approximately 3 digits lower than SUS316L. A precise groove forming of the glassy alloy can be achieved by hot-pressing in the supercooled liquid state. The result of the power generation test of the single cell assembled with the groove-formed glassy alloy sheets revealed that sufficient power was generated. Moreover, the deterioration of the morphology of the glassy separator could hardly be recognized even after the durability test for 350 h.
(Received 2005/3/9; Accepted 2005/5/17; Published 2005/7/15)
Keywords: metallic glass, separator, bipolar plate, solid polymer fuel cell (SPFC), polymer electrolyte fuel cell (PEFC)
Table of Contents
- F. T. Bacon: Electrochim. Acta 14 (1969) 569--585.
- M. Warshay, P.R. Prokopius, M. Le and G. Voecks: Proceedings of the Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference (1997), Vol.~1, pp.~228--231.
- F. N. Buechi and S. Srinivasan: J. Electrochem. Soc. 144 (1997) 2767--2772.
- N. P. Brandon, S. Skinner and B. C. H. Steele: Ann. Rev. Mater. Res. 33 (2003) 183--213.
- V. Mehta and J. S. Cooper: J. Power Sources 114 (2003) 32--53.
- H. L. Wang and J. A. Turner: J. Power Sources 128 (2004) 193--200.
- T. Bewer, T. Beckmann, H. Dohle, J. Mergel and D. Stolten: Proceedings of the First European PEFC forum (EFCF) (2001), pp.~321--330.
- S. Pang, T. Zhang, K. Asami and A. Inoue: Mater. Trans. 43 (2002) 2137--2142.
- S. Pang, T. Zhang, K. Asami and A. Inoue: Acta Mater. 50 (2002) 489--497.
- A. Inoue, W. Zhang and T. Zhang: Mater. Trans. 43 (2002) 1952--1956.
© 2002 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :