Materials Transactions, Vol.44 No.6 (2003) pp.1198-1203
© 2003 The Japan Institute of Metals
EXPRESS REGULAR ARTICLE
Capacity for Deformation and the Evaluation of Flow Stress of Hot Extruded Mg-8Al-xRE Alloys at Elevated Temperatures
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, 106 Taiwan, R.O. China
This paper investigated the optimal deformation temperature Tc, and the optimal Zener-Hollomon parameter Zc, of both as-extruded Mg-8Al and Mg-8Al-2RE alloys, to examine the capacity of these alloys for deformation. Additionally, an equation that involves the Zener-Hollomon parameter Z was derived to evaluate the flow stress of these magnesium alloys at various temperatures and strain rates and was validated using a statistical method. These alloys were prepared by melting and casting in a vacuum induction furnace, and extruded at 633 K with a reduction ratio of 90:1. Tensile tests were performed at 473 to 723 K and at strain rates ranging from 8.3× 10-4 to 8.3× 10-1 s-1. The implications of the experimental data were discussed in detail.
(Received February 24, 2003; Accepted May 6, 2003)
magnesium alloys, rare-earth element, extrusion, mechanical properties, hot working, Zener-Hollomon parameter
Table of Contents
- W. G. Yang and C. H. Koo: Mater. Trans. 44 (2003) 1029-1035[JIM].
- H. Watanabe, T. Mukai, M. Kohzu, S. Tanabe and K. Higashi: Acta Mater. 47 (1999) 3753-3758.
- H. Watanabe, T. Mukai, M. Mabuchi and K. Higashi: Acta Mater. 49 (2001) 2027-2037.
- W. J. Kim, S. W. Chung, C. S. Chung and D. Kum: Acta Mater. 49 (2001) 3337-3345.
- X. Wu and Y. Liu: Scr. Mater. 46 (2002) 269-274.
- H. Takuda, H. Fujimoto and N. Hatta: J. Mater. Process. Technol. 80-81 (1998) 513-516.
- C. J. Lin: Superplastic forming and application of the metals, (Aviation industry publishing house, Beijing, 1990) pp. 10-11.
- M. A. Meyers and K. K. Chawla: Mechanical Behavior of Materials, (Prentice-Hall International, New Jersey, 1999) p. 270.
- G. E. Dieter: Mechanical Metallurgy, (McGraw-Hill Book Co., London, 1988) p. 188.
- Z. Jeffries: Trans. AIME 60 (1919) 474-576.
- C. Zener and H. Hollomon: J. Appl. Phys. 15 (1943) 22-32.
- H. J. Forst and M. F. Ashby: Deformation Mechanism Maps, (Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1982) p. 44.
- O. D. Sherby and J. Wadsworth: Prog. Mater. Sci. 33 (1989) 169-221.
- T. G. Langdon: Metall. Trans. A 13A (1982) 689-701.
- J. W. Edington: Metall. Trans. A 13A (1982) 703-715.
- R. Z. Valiev and O. A. Kaibyshev: Acta Mater. 31 (1983) 2121-2128.
- G. E. Dieter: Mechanical Metallurgy, (McGraw-Hill Book Co., London, 1988) p. 307.
- R. J. Larsen and M. L. Marx: An Introduction to Mathematical Statistics and Its Applications, (Prentice Hall, New York, 2001) p. 558.
© 2002 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :