Materials Transactions, Vol.44 No.6 (2003) pp.1181-1189
© 2003 The Japan Institute of Metals
EXPRESS REGULAR ARTICLE
Nano-Characterization of Ceramic Top-Coat/Metallic Bond-Coat Interface for Thermal Barrier Coating Systems by Plasma Spraying*
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Tokyo 192-0397, Japan
2Thermal Spraying Technology R & D Laboratory, Tocalo Co., Ltd., Kobe 658-0013, Japan
Characterization at the ceramic top-coat/metallic bond-coat interfacial region was conducted for several kinds of the plasma sprayed thermal barrier coating (TBC) systems by means of a transmission electron microscope (TEM), an electron probe micro-analysis (EPMA) and so forth, in order to find out the optimum compositional and structural conditions of the coating components together with the optimum coating processing condition for designing the advanced TBC systems. Specimens with different coating features were prepared systematically by using different coating parameters such as the top-coat spraying conditions and reheat-treatment conditions. Especially, the reheat-treatment was applied to the TBC specimen with different temperature either in air or in inert argon (Ar) gas atmosphere. It was found that in the case of reheat-treatment in air the thermally grown oxide (TGO) was developed at the interface as multiple oxide layers; one is Al2O3 layer developed discontinuously at directly above the bond-coat and another is the mixed oxides layer consisting of the Al, Cr, Co, Ni oxide particles on the Al2O3 layer. Such a TGO layer was heterogeneous and imperfect layer with containing many kinds of defects. On the contrary, the TGO layer formed by the reheat-treatment in Ar was composed dominantly of the continuous and fairly purified Al2O3 layer with large grain size and homogeneous layer thickness. The growth mechanism and influencing factors for TGO were discussed in some detail on the basis of the nano-characterization and quantitative evaluation of TGO.
(Received February 27, 2003; Accepted April 21, 2003)
thermal barrier coating, nano-characterization, thermally grown oxide, plasma spraying, transmission electron microscopy
Table of Contents
- M. Yoshiba: J. Gas Turbine Soc. Japan 25-97 (1997) 57-64.
- K. Tsukagoshi, Y. Tsukuda, E. Akita, Y. Iwasaki and M. Nishida: Proc. Int'l. Gas Turbine Congress 1999 Kobe, GTSJ, (1999) 135-142.
- A. Nitta: J. Soc. Mater. Sci., Japan 51-5 (2002) 587-593.
- T. Hisamatsu, A. Nitta, M. Nakayama, T. Torigoe, K. Mori, I. Okada, T. Hino, T. Kameda, Y. Ito, H. Arikawa, Y. Kojima and K. Nishi: Report of the 123rd Committee on Heat-Resisting Metals and Alloys, Japan Soc. Promotion Sci. 43 (2002) 325-340.
- B. J. Gill and R. C. Tucker: J. Mater. Sci. Technol. 2 (1986) 207-213.
- M. Yoshiba, K. Abe, T. Aranami and Y. Harada: J. Thermal Spray Technol. 5 (1996) 259-268.
- M. Yoshiba, K. Wada and Y. Harada: J. Japan Inst. Metals 62 (1998) 333-342.
- S. Takahashi, M. Yoshiba and Y. Harada: Materials at High Temperatures 18 (2001) 125-130.
- R. A. Miller and C. C. Berndt: Thin Solid Films 119 (1984) 195-202.
- R. A. Miller: J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 67 (1984) 517-521.
- B. C. Wu and E. Chang: Thin Solid Films 172 (1989) 185-196.
- J. T. DeMasi-Marcin, K. D. Sheffler and S. Bose: J. Eng. For Gas Turbines and Power 112 (1990) 521-526.
- A. Bartlett and R. Dal Mashio: J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 78-4 (1995) 1018-1024.
- M. Narumi, Z. Yu, H. Taumi and T. Narita: Zairyo-to-Kankyo 50 (2001) 466-471.
- K. Ogawa, T. Masuda and T. Shoji: Proc. Int'l. Thermal Spray Conference, (2001) 187-194.
- P. D. Harmsworth and R. Stevens: J. Mater. Sci. 27 (1992) 616-624.
- C. Bartuli, L. Bertamini, S. Matera and S. Sturlese: Mater. Sci. Eng. A199 (1995) 229-237.
- B. Rhouta and B. Pieraggi: Mater. Sci. Forum 369-372 (2001) 687-694.
- S. Takahashi, M. Yoshiba and Y. Harada: Proc. the 48th Japan Conference on Materials and Environments (2001) 407-410.
- L. Gao, M. Kato, K. Nakasa, T. Bansho and H. Nishida: J. Soc. Mater. Sci. Japan 51-2 (2002) 101-106.
- M. Kawamura, Y. Matsuzaki and H. Hino: Proc. Int'l. Symposium on High Temperature Corrosion and Protection 2000, ISIJ, (2000) 363-367.
- Y. Matsuzaki and M. Kawamura: J. Gas Turbine Soc. Japan 30-6 (2002) 497-502.
- S. Takahashi, M. Yoshiba and Y. Harada: Proc. of JSCE Materials and Environments 2002 (2002) 141-144.
- S. Kuroda, T. Fukushima and J. Kawakita: Report of the 123rd Committee on Heat-Resisting Metals and Alloys, Japan Soc. Promotion Sci. 42 (2001) 335-340.
- S. Alperine and L. Lelait: J. Eng. for Gas Turbines and Power, ASME 116 (1994) 258-265.
© 2002 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :