Materials Transactions, Vol.44 No.6 (2003) pp.1167-1171
© 2003 The Japan Institute of Metals
EXPRESS REGULAR ARTICLE
Thermal Stability and Mechanical Properties of Glassy and Amorphous Ni-Nb-Zr Alloys Produced by Rapid Solidification
1Institute for Materials Research, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577, Japan
2Fukuda Metal Foil & Powder Co., LTD, Kyoto 607-8305, Japan
Rapidly solidified Ni-Nb-Zr alloys in a ribbon form with a thickness of about 20 µm were prepared by a single roller melt-spinning technique. Amorphous alloys were formed in the composition range of 20 to 75 at%Ni, 0 to 60 at%Nb and 0 to 80 at%Zr. Furthermore, glassy alloys were also synthesized in the range of 50 to 70 at%Ni, 5 to 35 at%Nb and 5 to 45 at%Zr. The maximum temperature interval of the supercooled liquid region was 51 K for Ni60Nb20Zr20 alloy. The tensile fracture strength and Vickers hardness of the glassy Ni60Nb20Zr20 alloy are 2160 MPa and 700, respectively. Wide ribbons with a width of 50 mm of amorphous Ni42Nb28Zr30 and glassy Ni60Nb20Zr20 alloys were produced at a circumferential velocity of the copper roller of 20 m/s.
(Received February 20, 2003; Accepted April 17, 2003)
glassy, amorphous, Ni-Nb-Zr alloy, mechanical property
Table of Contents
- R. C. Rhul, B. C. Giessen, M. Cohen and N. J. Grant: Acta Mettall. 15 (1967) 1693.
- K. H. J. Buschow and N. M. Beekmans: Phys. Rev. B 19 (1979) 3843[APS].
- K. Aoki, A. Horata and T. Masumoto: Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Rapidly Quenched Metals (1981) 1649.
- Y. Shimogaki, H. Komiyama, H. Inoue, T. Masumoto and H. Kimura: J. of Chem. Soc. Jap. 58 (1985) 661.
- Y. Shimogaki, H. Komiyama, H. Inoue, T. Masumoto and H. Kimura: J. of Chem. Eng. Jap. 21 (1988) 293.
- T. Takahashi, S. Higashi, T. Kai, H. Kimura and T. Masumoto: Catalysis Letters 26 (1994) 401.
- S. Hara, K. Sasaki, N. Itoh, H. M. Kimura, K. Asami and A. Inoue: J. Membrane Sci. 164 (2000) 289.
- A. Inoue, W. Zhang and T. Zhang:
- T. Seki and I. Yasuda: Distributed Energy Systems & Fuel Cell Technologies, ed. by K. Hirata, (CMC Publishing Co., Ltd., Tokyo, 2001) p. 168.
- A. Inoue:
- Metals Databook, ed. by Japan Inst. Metals, (Maruzen, Tokyo, 1984) p. 8.
- F. R. Niessen: Cohesion in Metals, (Elsevier Science Publishers, B. V., Amsterdam, 1988).
- A. Takeuchi and A. Inoue:
- F. R. de Boer, R. Boom, W. C. M. Mattens, A. R. Miedema and A. K. Niessen: Cohesion in Metals (Cohesion and Structure, Vol. 1, ed. By F. R. de Boar and D. G. Pettifor), Elsevier Science Publishers B. V., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, (1988).
© 2002 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :