Yoshitaka Adachi1, Toshio Nakamori1 and Kazuhito Kamei2
1Iron & Steel Research Laboratories, Sumitomo Metal Industries, LTD, Amagasaki
With special attention to hetero-epitaxial growth of FeZn13(ζ) crystals precipitated on 99.999% pure iron substrate, we have investigated the reaction between Fe and Zn during hot dip galvanizing. The results obtained are as follows.
(1) Hetero-epitaxial growth of ζ crystals on iron substrate is found.
(2) The epitaxial growth largely depends on the crystal plane of iron substrate. On (111)-(113)-(313)α the epitaxial growth occurs, while on (001)-(101)αζ crystals are oriented randomly.
(3) FeZn7(δ1) crystals are often precipitated at the interface between randomly oriented ζ crystals and iron substrate.
(4) ζ has ζ axis as the growing axis and a diamond cross-section surrounded by four 110ζ planes.
(5) The crystallographic relationship between ζ crystal and iron substrate is as follows;
hetero-epitaxy, hot dip galvanized steel, transmission electron microscopy, electron channelling pattern, epitaxial growth, iron-zinc intermetallic compounds
Please do not copy without permission.