Materials Transactions, Vol.58 No.05 (2017) pp.799-805
© 2017 The Japan Institute of Light Metals
Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Commercial-Purity Aluminum Fabricated Using Selective Laser Melting
1Technology Research Institute of Osaka Prefecture, Izumi 594-1157, Japan
Optimal laser scanning parameters to densify commercial-purity aluminum, fabricated using selective laser melting (SLM), were studied using an SLM machine equipped with a 400 W Yb fiber laser. The SLM samples with a relative density of 99.7% were obtained. The microstructures and the thermal and mechanical properties of the dense SLM samples fabricated using the optimal laser scanning parameters were investigated. The as-fabricated SLM samples had granular microstructures of aluminum, silicon, and/or iron oxides dispersed finely (～0.3 μm) due to the rapid solidification by laser irradiation. The mechanical properties were thus confirmed to be excellent (ultimate tensile strength: 110 MPa, proof stress: 90 MPa, breaking elongation: 30%). The thermal conductivity of the SLM sample was approximately 200 W/m·K, which was slightly inferior to that of the wrought commercial-purity aluminum (230 W/m·K). The effect of annealing on the properties of the SLM samples were also investigated. The thermal conductivity of the SLM sample annealed at 450℃ for 10 minutes increased to the same value as that of the wrought commercial-purity aluminum, although both the proof stress and breaking elongation were slightly decreased.
This Paper was Originally Published in Japanese in J. JILM 66 (2016) 167-173.
(Received 2016/11/24; Accepted 2017/02/02; Published 2017/04/25)
Keywords: additive manufacturing (AM), commercial-purity aluminum, microstructure, thermal property, mechanical property
Table of Contents
- I. Gibson, D. W. Rosen and B. Stucker: Additive Manufacturing Technologies, (Springer, Berlin, 2010) pp.103-169.
- W. M. Steen and J. Mazumder: Laser Material Processing 4th Edition, (Springer, Berlin, 2010) pp.349-369.
- H. Sakai: Sokeizai 54-4 (2013) 47-53.
- M. Wong, S. Tsopanos, J. Chris and O. Leuan: Rapid Prototyping J. 13 (2007) 291-297.
- T. Vilaro, S. Abed and W. Knapp: Proc. 12th European Forum on Rapid Prototyp., (AFRP, Paris, 2008).
- W. M. Steen and J. Mazumder: Laser Material Processing 4th Edition, S(Springer, Berlin, 2010) pp.89-93.
- T. Kimura and T. Nakamoto: J. Jpn. Soc. Powder Powder Metallurgy 61 (2014) 531-537.
- K. Kempen, L. Thijs, J. Van Humbeeck and J.P. Kruth: Physics Procedia 39 (2012) 439-446.
- N. Read, W. Wang, K. Essa and M.M. Attallah: Mater. Des. 65 (2015) 417-424.
- N.T. Aboulkhair, N.M. Everitt, I. Ashcroft and C. Tuck: Additive Manufacturing 1-4 (2014) 77-86.
- C. Weingarten, D. Buchbinder, N. Pirch, W. Meiners, K. Wissenbach and R. Poprawe: J. Mater. Process. Technol. 221 (2015) 112-120.
- D. Manfredi, F. Calignano, M. Krishnan, R. Canali, E.P. Ambrosio and E. Atzeni: Materials 6 (2013) 856-869.
- L. Thijs, K. Kempen, J.P. Kruth and J.V. Humbeeck: Acta Mater. 61 (2013) 1809-1819.
- E. Brandl, U. Heckenberger, V. Holzinger and D. Buchbinder: Mater. Des. 34 (2012) 159-169.
- T. Kimura and T. Nakamoto: Mater. Des. 89 (2016) 1294-1301.
- K.G. Prashanth, S. Scudino, H.J. Klauss, K.B. Surreddi, L. Lober, Z. Wang, A.K. Chaubey, U. Kuhn and J. Eckert: Mater. Sci. Eng. A 590 (2014) 153-160.
- P. Ma, K.G. Prashanth, S. Scudino, Y. Jia, H. Wang, C. Zou, Z. Wei and J. Eckert: Metals 4 (2014) 28-36.
- Japan Aluminium Association: Aluminium Handbook 6th edition, (Japan Aluminium Association, Japan, 2001) pp.201-207.
- T. Eto: J. Jpn. Institute of Light Metals 44 (1994) 682-693.
- T. Nakamoto, N. Shirakawa, Y. Miyata, T. Sone and H. Inui: Int. J. Autom. Tech. 2 (2008) 168-174.
- H. Gu, H. Gong, D. Pal, K. Rafi, T. Starr and B. Stucker: Solid Freeform Fabrication Symp. Proc. (Austin Texas, 2013) pp.474-489.
- B. Vandenbroucke and J. P. Kruth: Solid Freeform Fabrication Symp. Proc. (Austin Texas, 2013) pp.148-159.
- A. Simchi: Mater. Sci. Eng. A 428 (2006) 148-158.
- Japan Aluminium Association: Aluminium Handbook 6th edition, (Japan Aluminium Association, Japan, 2001) pp.26-29.
- D. Buchbinder, W. Meiners, N. Pirch and K. Wissenbach: J. Laser Appl. 26 (2014) 012004.
- Y. Murakami and T. Takahashi: J. Jpn. Institute of Light Metals 26 (1976) 102-107.
© 2017 The Japan Institute of Light Metals
Comments to us :