Materials Transactions, Vol.46 No.08 (2005) pp.1877-1881
© 2005 The Japan Institute of Metals
Measurement of Thermal Transport Properties for Molten Silicate Glasses at High Temperatures by Means of a Novel Laser Flash Technique
1Institute of Multidisciplinary Research for Advanced Materials, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577, Japan
2Department of Materials Science, Ibaraki University, Hitachi 316-8511, Japan
Thermal transport properties; effusivity, diffusivity and conductivity, of six silicate glasses in the molten state have been determined in the temperature range between 1073 and 1673 K. The glass sample was melted in a platinum crucible and heated to the desired temperature. Then, a single laser pulse was flashed on the bottom surface of the platinum crucible, and the infrared ray irradiated from the same bottom surface was measured for obtaining the temperature decay from which thermal effusivity of the sample could be estimated in the molten state. Thermal diffusivity and thermal conductivity were also estimated with available values of specific heat capacity and density of the glasses. Thermal transport properties of six glasses were found to slightly depend on temperature.
(Received 2005/5/19; Accepted 2005/6/8; Published 2005/8/15)
Keywords: thermal effusivity, thermal diffusivity, thermal conductivity, specific heat capacity, density, molten glass, laser flash method
Table of Contents
- W. J. Parker, R. J. Jenkins, C. P. Butler and G. L. Abbott: J. Appl. Phys. 32 (1961) 1679--1684.
- Y. Waseda, M. Masuda and H. Ohta: Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Advanced Nuclear Energy Research, (Mito, Japan, 1992) pp.~298--301.
- H. Ohta, M. Masuda, K. Watanabe, K. Nakajima, H. Shibata and Y. Waseda: Tetsu to Hagane 80 (1994) 463--468.
- Y. Waseda, M. Masuda, K. Watanabe, H. Shibata, H. Ohta and K. Nakajima: High Temp. Mater. Process. 13 (1994) 267--276.
- H. Ohta, H. Shibata, A. Suzuki and Y. Waseda: Symposium Fundamentals of Metallurgical Processing, ed. by C. Kaiura, C. Pickels, T. Utigard and A. Vahed (NETSOC, Canada, 2000) 19--30.
- H. Ohta, H. Shibata, A. Suzuki and Y. Waseda: Rev. Sci. Instrum. 72 (2001) 1899--1903.
- S. Inaba, Y. Kimura, H. Shibata and H. Ohta: ISIJ International 44 (2004) 2120--2126.
- Thermophysical Properties Handbook, ed. by Japan Society of Thermophysical Properties, (Yokendo, Tokyo, 1990) 24.
- T. Komatsu: Private communications.
- K. Matsushita: Private communications.
- H. Ohta, G. Ogura, Y. Waseda and M. Suzuki: Rev. Sci. Instrum. 61 (1990) 2645--2649.
- Y. Nagasaka and A. Nagashima: Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 20 (1981) 216--220.
- R. Siegel and J. R. Howell: Thermal Radiation Heat Transfer, (Hemisphere, Washington, 1992) 37.
© 2002 The Japan Institute of Metals
Comments to us :